Wednesday 15 June 2011

Day 19 (10/6/2011): Lost In Time Tunnel


  Jiu Fen (九份)!! Here I come. Jiu Fen is the very place I wanted to visit again, after my first visit a few years back. It's located on top of a hill and this small town was developed because of the gold mining activity years back. Initially, there were only 9 families living here. Whenever they order something to be sent to them from the lowland, they will order 9 sets. And thus, the name, 九份 (literally means 9 sets).

  I have a strong and deep affection for the winding alleys and rough steps, all in dark brown stones and also the wooden crafted pillars. The exact view that I've wanted so badly to set my eyes on, and pretending that I've travelled in a time machine to go back to some ten or hundred years back, and immersing myself in this oh-so-calm sensation.

This is B, from England. <3

  The last time I came was in spring. The wind then was really strong and cold. I had to hold my jackets as tightly as possible because I feared that I might be freezed into ice sculpture. Lol... This time, its SUMMER!! At first, I thought it would be slightly chilly up there. Who knows, it's as hot as in Taipei. Gosh.. Hmm... I wonder does the affection for Jiu Fen has anything to do with the weather? I don't seem to feel the same way for it anymore. Somehow, a lil' disappointed. Is it because it's too hot now? I missed the chilly air and breezy wind here. Aww...... typhoon, come come come!!!

  Haha.. ok. Food talk now! According to the information that we searched online, there are a few types of food that we ought to try. They are the specialties of Jiu Fen.

  The first food that we tried was on the sweet side. It was a sweet popiah, wrapping peanuts and also ice cream in it. The funny part was that they add in additional "smelly vege" (I dont know what is it called. I only know that I hate this vege. So, mine was without the vege. XD). While waiting for ours, we observed the way they prepared this dessert. The uncle grated a HUGE chunk of peanut (Oolala.. my fav!!) and put a whole handful of it on the popiah skin. Then, the aunty scooped 2 large servings of homemade pineapple ice cream on it and wrapped it up. Saliva dripping! Aww.. It was so refreshing to have ice cream melting in your mouth with the aroma of peanut lingering in your mouth long after you swallowed it. I'm seriously in heaven!!! <3




  We also tried this famous meaty stuff. Its called 紅糟肉圓.Frankly, I've no idea how this is made. The only thing I know was that in this meat ball, there are some meat and also chunks of bamboo shoot. Hmm.. I don't fancy this.

These are the uncook ones. The read colour stuffs are the meat, while the yellowish ones are the bamboo shoot. They will cover the fillings with another layer of the whitish stuff.


 
 
  For dessert, we tried the yam ball ice. For me, I think its more or less like our glutinous rice ball, only with chunks of yam in it. It was eaten with other beans like red bean, green bean and also peanut with ice and syrup. You can have a hot one, but considering the hot weather, we opted for the cold one! Who else would want to eat hot stuff when the weather is already killing you with the heat???


  The next thing we tried was called "Little Grass Kuih" or "草仔粿" in mandarin. They have 4 types of paste, which is red bean (the sweet one) as well as the salted paste, which are green bean, salted vegetables and also "cai po". We tried red and green bean. I should say that it is something like kuih koci, soft and sticky skin. The only difference is that the skin of this "little Grass Kuih" tasted like herbs, which kuih koci doesn't. I personally prefer the sweet red bean one to the salted green bean paste kuih. Well.. girls always prefer sweet stuff to saltish stuff. I wouldn't say I like this kuih, but I don't hate it either. Its just.... so-so only. Haha..



  This man is really cool. When he saw me taking photos of him and his merchandises, he quickly "show-off" his talent and performed a lot of songs for us. Lol.. So syok sendiri!!! But I have to admit that he's really talented. Thumbs up!!


  And as we continued our journey, we came by this stall. Aha~~ I was searching for you. I remembered clearly that I tried this during my last trip. Haha.. It's still at the same place.


I've seen many types of fishball, shrimpball, squidball etc.. But this it the first time I see sharkball. Lol.. Can't tell how it taste like as I don't have the guts to try this. Haha..

  We came to this house a.k.a shop, where the owner displays all the antiques and junk stuffs and also some traditional costumes and headgears. You can stay as long as you wish and take as many photos as your camera can keep. The charge is only 20NTD for student. Cool huh~ We enjoyed dressing up and playing pretend and posting for the camera. Lol.. It was like when we were still a kid, trying on our mum's dresses and walking in her high heels. Haha..





  Before we end our trip, we stopped at this shop selling scented lotions, lip balm, soap etc... *breathing deeply* Nice and comforting smell. Hey wait.. We spotted something. Is that a postcard stand?? Absolutely right about it. It works this way. You pick you choice of postcard and fill the postcards with coloured pens and also cute stamps! After that, just drop it in the mailboxoutside the shop, and TADA~~~ your postcard will be sent out in no time~ As simple as ABC~~


Dear postman, do send my postcard to my beloved family in its best condition, Thank you!!

  Before we leave Jiu Fen... Ok Ok!! The scented shop was suppose to be our last stop, but we just happened to walk pass this shop, selling candies and chocolates in funny and weird packaging. We just have to step inside and explore!!! We laughed until our lungs nearly went out of air. Haha...

This is in the form of pad.

Wow~~ bra candy~!!!

For those who are sitting for their exams (its the exam season in Taiwan), all the best!!!

  The last thing I had in Jiu Fen was this fruity Guava Juice. No DEHP, rest assured!! I saw the tauke blending it right in front of me, and even "tariking" it. Can you see it? I should call this Guava Tarik!! Haha.. FYI,  Everyone is being paranoid in Taiwan at the moment!! DEHP!!!! Argh~!!!


  For a change, we took the train on our way back. Surprisingly, it was much faster than the bus and much much cheaper (although I don't have a seat and have to stand for the whole 50 minutes journey)! I should've taken the train earlier!! Aiyaya~~~

  So, that's all about my half day trip to Jiu Fen~!!!

韵丽 笔

No comments:

Post a Comment